|Number 18 : Creedence Clearwater Revival : Up Around the Bend|
Mungo Jerry were enjoying their third week as the UK's Number 1 this week in 1970, in what was a relatively quiet Top 20. Just one new entry to the listing, along with a song that was re-entering the chart after a couple of weeks away.
- 01 (01) Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
- 02 (03) Mr Bloe - Groovin' With Mr Bloe
- 03 (04) Free - All Right Now
- 04 (02) Christie - Yellow River
- 05 (07) Gerry Monroe - Sally
- 06 (05) The Beach Boys - Cottonfields
- 07 (15) Cliff Richard - Goodbye Sam, Hello Samantha
- 08 (06) Glen Campbell - Honey Come Back
- 09 (11) Marvin Gaye - Abraham, Martin And John
- 10 (10) Fleetwood Mac - Green Manalishi (With The Two-Prong Crown)
- 11 (08) Ray Stevens - Everything Is Beautiful
- 12 (13) The Supremes - Up The Ladder To The Roof
- 13 (17) The Four Tops - It's All In The Game
- 14 (18) Status Quo - Down The Dustpipe
- 15 (09) England World Cup Squad - Back Home
- 16 (16) Arrival - I Will Survive
- 17 (12) The Moody Blues - Question
- 18 (33) Creedence Clearwater Revival - Up Around The Bend
- 19 (19) Roger Whittaker - I Don't Believe In 'If' Anymore
- 20 (24) Butterscotch - Don't You Know (She Said Hello)
Image: CCR - The Complete Collection (Digital Box)
New to the Top 20 this week was Creedence Clearwater Revival's final single to reach the UK Top 10: Up Around the Bend. Written by the band's lead singer John Fogerty and included on the album Cosmo's Factory, the track would eventually peak at Number 3. It was also a major hit in the US, where it topped out at Number 4.
Returning to the Top 20 at the basement position is the single by Butterscotch: Don't You Know (She Said Hello). It would prove to be the vocal group's only hit, reaching a best chart position of Number 17 a few weeks back. The video featured here shows some nostalgic UK pop culture characters and groups from the 1970s.
The Number 1 album this week:
The Number 1 Song in the USA:
The Love You Save
Until next time...